• work in conjunction with UK dermatology clinical trials network (UK DCTN,
www.ukdctn.org) and minimise duplication of efforts
• facilitate international and cross-specialty collaboration
• facilitate collaborative working involving clinicians and basic scientists and
engagement in skin research
• develop a UK strategy for translational research in dermatology and skin
• engage and collaborate with the pharmaceutical industry and Biotech.
• train, mentor and equip the next generation of basic and clinical scientists in
• engender a research active and supportive environment in our clinical
departments and research institutions
• raise the profile of dermatology and skin biology research both nationally and
• engage with stakeholders and funding agencies (including MRC, Wellcome,
• gather and disseminate information regarding opportunities for funding and
availability of resources/expertise/techniques/methodologies to facilitate
interactions across the UK
The establishment of UK TREND began in February 2013 following an open meeting to gauge support and gather ideas from the UK translation research community
The aims of UK TREND are to support, facilitate and further develop internationally-leading, translational research in skin biology and skin disease across the UK for the direct benefit of patient care.
In this context, we have defined translational research to be the direct application of basic and applied research to patient care. This may encompass diagnostics, biomarkers, disease mechanisms and the development of new therapies that then impact on clinical practice.